Question about Duplicate Files in Sardu

Multiboot USB / DVD Builder with SARDU
In this section is permitted only the English language
Forum rules
In this section is permitted only the English language

Question about Duplicate Files in Sardu

Postby MikeF10 » April 30th, 2011, 9:17 pm

Hi, new user here.

Sardu is a wonderful program - but I notice something strange and wonder if it's the program or the way I'm using it.

Does anyone know why Sardu duplicates ISOs? and is it necessary? When you download an ISO, Sardu puts it into a folder called ISO. And if you add a file manually, you put the ISO into the same folder. Logical enough... but then Sardu makes a copy of the ISO file in a subfolder called ISOLinux, which means your Sardu directory is roughly twice as big as you thought it would be. So if you download, say, the BitDefender ISO at about 370 MB, you end up with 740 megabytes of BitDefender on your disk. So can one of these steps be skipped? Am I doing something wrong, or is this the way the program works?

Thanks,

Mike
MikeF10

Re: Question about Duplicate Files in Sardu

Postby davidecosta » April 30th, 2011, 9:22 pm

SARDU extract the files from the ISO, don't copy the ISO.
The folder isolinux is only a temporary folder used for manage all files needed for make the multiboot.
davidecosta

Postby MikeF10 » April 30th, 2011, 10:02 pm

davidecosta wrote:SARDU extract the files from the ISO, don't copy the ISO.
The folder isolinux is only a temporary folder used for manage all files needed for make the multiboot.

So, let me see if I understand. It extracts the files to your hard disk in the isolinux subfolder before making the ISO(it was for dvd not usb stick) then, after making the complete ISO, leaves the extracted files on the disk. So then after that if you expand the project you simply download some more programs, which in turn are extracted to the same folder. Is this correct?

btw, if everyone supported their software the way you do the world would be very different. thanks.
MikeF10

Postby davidecosta » April 30th, 2011, 11:07 pm

MikeF10 wrote:
davidecosta wrote:SARDU extract the files from the ISO, don't copy the ISO.

So, let me see if I understand. It extracts the files to your hard disk in the isolinux subfolder before making the ISO(it was for dvd not usb stick) then, after making the complete ISO, leaves the extracted files on the disk. So then after that if you expand the project you simply download some more programs, which in turn are extracted to the same folder. Is this correct?

btw, if everyone supported their software the way you do the world would be very different. thanks.

SARDU , both ISO and USB, extract all files from isos and puts them in the temporary folder (isolinux). Places the files (and folders) in certain folders to avoid conflicts, edits the files cfg of menu changing the path, this for all ISOs (For windows much more complicated). The structure for ISO is different by the structure for USB.
Afte make your copy of SARDU you can delete the folder isolinux. I will put this option in next version.
For USB you can make your copy in stages using incremental function.
Sample:
1 stage) only AOSS (Only AOSS checked)
2 stage) only AVG (AOSS and others all unchecked)

The USB will have both AVG and AOSS.

I support my software because I'm not a computer science :cheers:
davidecosta

Return to English Forum