Multiboot USB / DVD Builder with SARDU
In this section is permitted only the English language
Forum rules
In this section is permitted only the English language

Windows 7 (grub?) hangs

Postby G3n7r0 » November 26th, 2012, 12:15 pm

Hi,
first of all thanks for the great app!

I'm having an issue where after choosing windows 7 install from the windows menu
the setup hangs at:

Code: Select all
initialize variable space..
will boot ntldr from drive=0x80, partition=0x0 (hidden sectors=0x3f)

I'm using sardu 2.0.6, windows 7 iso is modified (a variant of all in one x86-x64 setup), but the same happens
with a clean windows 7 x64 iso.

The issue happens on a Dell laptop.

Before going into greater detail I'd like to point out I did try to search these forums for a similar issue with no success, and tried
replacing grub with newer (and older) versions but those mostly fail at the 'probing Bios ROM' step.
I've tried a different usb flash drive, and SARDU 2.0.5 to create the multiboot.

This issue happened before rarely on some machines but on older versions of sardu just restarting the machine and selecting the setup
option again worked.

After encountering this particular DELL laptop where no amount of restarting helped I was interested in what causes this issue.

I'll be happy to provide any addition info or testing.

Thanks.
G3n7r0

Re: Windows 7 (grub?) hangs

Postby davidecosta » November 26th, 2012, 3:22 pm

Thenks for full explanation.

missing two tests:

1. Menu USB and try to Add boot menu with memdisk
  2. You have witten that one old version of SARDU works fine. Can you report here the voice of menu? (open the file on the USB \SARDU\windows.cfg)

Let me know...if you can with both test
davidecosta

Re: Windows 7 (grub?) hangs

Postby G3n7r0 » November 29th, 2012, 5:22 pm

Hi,

1. memdisk hangs at 'getting upper memory' part (tried a few restarts)

2. Sorry for not being clear, no matter what version of SARDU or grub or way of creating usb multiboot, that particular Dell laptop
refuses to boot windows 7 install from an usb (dvd install works fine).
I've got a few machines I usually test the new/updated multiboot and I just noticed with 2.0.6 more of them get stuck
at the initialize variable space.. part. In all of them just restarting makes the install go through, except that Dell.

But it's of no importance really now, I was just wondering what happened.

I wanted to try rebuilding everything with the 2.0.6.1. but since the sardu 2.0.6.1 can't work offline (after reporting there's an internet problem it just does not load). I was not able to test it.

2.0.6. works just fine offline (loading continues after the internet connection error report).

So, I guess
G3n7r0

Return to English Forum